Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Contribution #5: Evidence-Based HR

In Chapter 9, there is a small article that gives attention to executive education and tuition reimbursement programs. I found this particularly interesting because I had no idea that universities are now measuring the success of their programs to find out the return on investment for companies to prove how valuable they are. The use of performance measures, action learning, surveys to judge practical values, and on-site college degree programs allow for companies to evaluate their employees and make sure that there is measurable worth in reimbursing their employees tuition and executive education.
As a senior at SNC, I cannot help but to think about the idea of searching for companies that offer tuition reimbursement and programs to help me acquire a Master’s Degree. I also think that from a business standpoint, companies are wise to measure the effectiveness of the education that they are paying for. As a business owner, I want to see increased performance levels at work so therefore, I think it’s a good idea for the business to partner with the universities in creating these measures. These measures also allow businesses the opportunity to identify employees with the most potential for becoming higher-level executives. Also, I think the idea of incentive tuition reimbursement is a good idea. This encourages employees to work as hard as they can because some employees might feel satisfied with a C, but not if they have to end up paying for half of their tuition. Giving full reimbursement for As and Bs is an effective tool is maximizing the results of employees. Lastly, as an employee of a company, I would take the education programs seriously if the company showed trust in me by reimbursing my tuition. It creates a hard work ethic and provides the company the opportunity to assess my skills and abilities in furthering my education.

No comments: